See the places you’ve always dreamed of, exactly the way you want to see them!
Self-drive holidays offer the opportunity for your clients to set the pace of their holiday, offering total freedom and flexibility. They will be able to visit places off the beaten track, deciding how much time to spend there. Self-drives are popular for Honeymoon couples, friends, small groups and families wishing to travel together. We certainly believe a self-drive holiday is one of the most enjoyable ways to explore the country.
We have a selection of self-drive tour options available for areas across Southern Africa, the majority of our self-drive tours range from 7 to 22 days, depending on how long you plan to stay in in our beautiful country, and include “not-to-be-missed” tourist attractions and destinations. Tours can be customized to suit your individual requirements and special interests. Listed tour itineraries can also be extended or shortened to suit your exact arrival and departure dates.
There are many routes to explore but most people tend to find the easiest routes to travel are in the Western Cape. You can settle in to the country in Cape Town and start exploring further afield around the Cape Peninsula, out to the Winelands. From there you can head north to the Cederberg or east to Hermanus and the Whale Coast or the Garden Route and Eastern Cape.
However there are many other parts of the country to explore. KwaZulu Natal is a perfect destination for self-drive as there is lots of variety. You can also head into more off the beaten track areas such as the Northern Cape of Namaqualand and the Kalahari, the Waterberg or even the far northern parts of Limpopo.
It is important to remember you may feel comfortable with doing a self-drive especially within Cape Town or the areas of the Garden Route, but would like road transfers or a private guide elsewhere. This is not a problem! Combining self-drive with other forms of touring is the way to have the best of all worlds and is very common for our clients. Thousands of our clients have happily enjoyed a self-drive for all or part of their trips. We know which routes are easy and manageable and which routes may be only for the more adventurous.
Why Self-drive Holidays in South Africa?
- Excellent value for money compared to having private transfers or a guide.
- Flexibility – no set daily plan. You can do what you like when you like for however long you would like to.
- No waiting times for the rest of the group to meet and no missing the attractions you would like to see the most. Self-drive tours offer the opportunity to plan your route ahead of time stopping at all the places you wish to enjoy.
- You can choose your size/make/brand of car, there are plenty of options available to find the best car to suit your needs from compact to luxurious!
- You can take our self-drive tours and adapt them as you wish, adding nights, upgrading hotels, adding in a special excursion and more.
- Freedom to explore at your own pace, if you looking for a relaxing holiday or adventure filled trip you can decide how much little or how much you would like to do.
- The roads are generally in good condition, well-maintained and the road signs are in English.
- We provide detailed directions and a comprehensive travel itinerary outlining suggested routes & what to see in each area.
- GPS can be included with your hire car.
Using a specialist tour operator who books a lot of self-drive in Southern Africa – like us – also saves you plenty of time and money. We have all the directions to the hotels and lodges at our fingertips. We know which routes are the easiest and most picturesque. Also we know how far people can comfortably travel in one day and still actually enjoy their self-drive holiday…
Take advantage of this opportunity to have a truly authentic and rich experience of Africa! To find out more or for sample itineraries for self-drive tours you are welcome to contact us. We look forward to making the best recommendations to suit your clients’ needs and to finding the perfect self-drive trip for them, naturally we craft a vast number of tailor-made self-drive holidays in Southern Africa, taking a detailed brief from you.