Experience a typical South African neighborhood as you enjoy a meal with locals
Cape Town's suburbs span the entire peninsula, each developing their own distinct communities. Suburbs are very diverse and offer guests an opportunity to experience home life as a South African. These areas could be in the city or further down the coastline. Each area is very different and has a unique history.
South Africa's suburbs offer guests insight into what it would be like if they lived in South Africa. Dine with local professionals and families and learn about their daily lives.
How It Works
- You choose what kind of dining experience you would like to have from our list.
- We will match you with a suitable host who will welcome you into their home.
- You can organise your own transport or we can arrange a transfer for you.
- You will share a home cooked meal with a local family where you can chat, share ideas and learn more about each other.
- If you are being hosted by a Muslim, Cape Malay or certain Indian and Christian families, there may be no alcohol served.
- Many hosts may not allow smoking on their premises.
- Menus will be discussed and prearranged for guests with strict dietary requirements.
- Remember that you are there for the experience and to engage with locals.
FEATURED SUBURB DINING EXPERIENCES
Bo Kaap & Surrounds
One of Cape Town's most popular tourist destinations and Instagram stops, the Bo Kaap Area is a colourful and historically important neighbourhood. Home to a large Cape Malay and Muslim community, the area is best known for its many Mosques, strong sense of community and brightly painted homes. Dishes are reknowned for their spicey-sweet combinations, a favourite being a traditional Bobotie.
One of the largest residential areas in Cape Town, the Southern Suburbs covers a vast area and incorporates many different neighbourhoods including the leafy suburbs of Tokai, Constantia and Claremont, as well as University suburbs Rondebosch and Rosebank. Here you will find a diverse mix of upper to middle-class families, young professionals and students. It is the best representation of suburban living in Cape Town.