Meet some of Southern Africa's many vibrant cultures, ancient rituals and sacred secrets
Dive deep into the many traditions and cultures in Southern Africa as you travel through lesser-known regions meeting interesting local people and learning about their different ways of living, both in the past and now. Visit communities who have kept their heritage alive and are eager to share them with you. Cultural camps and lodges within South Africa afford visitors the opportunity to experience local traditions, foods and places of interest unique to the Khomani San, Mier, Venda, Pedi, Tsonga and Lobedu people.
Discover the abundance of culture and local traditions in Southern Africa's more remote areas.
What to See
- The Khomani San people of the Kalahari are hardy and their unique way of life can still be experienced and enjoyed at !Xaus Lodge and along the Red Dune Route of the Northern Cape.
- Meet the Venda people, amoung Limpopo's most mystical, see their famous Domba Dance and ritualistic sites such as Lake Fundudzi and the Sacred Forest.
- Lush vistas, sacred waters and forests, layer upon layer of legend and tradition.
- Watch elderly Tsonga women harvest and process Baleni salt from the Klein Letaba River, a process that has continued for the past 2 000 years.
- Modjadji and rainmaking are central to the Lobedu culture. Explore the ancient cycad reserve, ruled for centuries by the Rain Queen.
- The Pedi people - particularly known for metal smithing, beadwork, pottery, painting and woodworking, especially drum making.
FEATURED CULTURAL ROUTES EXPERIENCES
6 Day Discovering Limpopo
Culture, Adventure & Safari
10 Day Limpopo Ivory Route
Culture, Safari & Discovery
Take the road less travelled and explore the incredible Limpopo Province on this 10-day journey of discovery. The tour starts in an ancient cycad forest, hearing the lore of Modjadji, the Rain Queen. Move on to the Ribola Art Route and experience Tsonga and Venda art & culture, learning new skills. Drive through the deeply rural Venda region and explore baobab territory near the Limpopo river. Rest at the most north eastern part of the country under glorious African skies, with a safari in the game-rich Northern Kruger area. Then head south, travelling via the ancient salt harvesting site at Baleni to another safari camp bordering Kruger and known for its herds of elephant and buffalo.
7 Day Northern Cape Explorer
Culture & Adventure
Explore the beautiful and varied landscapes on this tour of the Green Kalahari as well as the Kalahari Red Dune Route in the Northern Cape. Take a dip in a natural hot water spring at Riemvasmaak, visit the Augrabies Falls and enjoy a picnic lunch overlooking the gorge. Adventure activities included are a gentle paddle down the mighty Orange River and a sand boarding excursion on the impressive red sand dunes. The tour also includes game viewing in the remote Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park and a cultural interaction where you will learn some ancient tracking skills from the wise Khomani San bushmen. This is an experience not to be missed.