Only 40kms from Cape Town lies a series of gorgeous valleys known as the Cape Winelands, home to a collection of historic towns, quaint hamlets and Cape Dutch homesteads that provide South African wines to the world.
Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl form a large portion of the Cape Winelands, with grape cultivation dating back to the 1600s. Stellenbosch was the first to establish a wine route through the farms and is the 2nd oldest town in South Africa.
Franschhoek, which boasts more than 40 extraordinary wine cellars, is rich in vineyards dating back to the settling of the Huguenots who brought their French wine making skills to South Africa over 300 years ago.
Some of the lesser explored but equally interesting wine regions include the Durbanville, Wellington, Hemel en Aarde, Botriver, Standford, Swartland, Darling, Elgin and Breedekloof winelands.
The Cape is teeming with exceptional wines and popular estates and wine routes.
What To See
- Visit a variety of farms and estates, from small boutique wineries to larger cellars that offer organised tours and tastings
- Dine at the wide variety of internationally acclaimed restaurants throughout the winelands, many of which also offer spectacular views
- Franschhoek is also known as the Gourmet Capital of South Africa owing to its concentration of award-winning restaurants
- Picnics in the many beautiful settings offered are one of the best ways to enjoy lunch on a summers day
- Wine pairings are very popular - wine and chocolate, nougat, cupcakes, pancakes, ice-cream, soup, salt, pizza, biltong, charcuterie…
- The Franschhoek Wine Tram is a fun and unique way of visiting the different wineries in and around the Franschhoek Valley
- The iconic red tour buses operated by City Sightseeing provides visitors to the Cape an opportunity to sample the best the Winelands has to offer
- The magnificent surrounding mountains offer unparalleled opportunities for hiking, mountaineering, cycling, trail running and para-gliding
- The Constantia Winelands are only 20 minutes’ drive from Cape Town
16 Day South Africa Luxury Family Holiday
Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve, Cape Town, Franschhoek, Whale Coast, Oudtshoorn & Plettenberg Bay
This family friendly holiday showcases the best that South Africa has to offer and includes some of the top accommodation options, each with unique activities and programs to keep children entertained. A top-notch safari in the Sabi Sands, Cape Town, the Whale Coast and the Garden Route are must see destinations - all included in this luxury package.
11 Day Mzansi Responsible Tourism Self-drive Holiday
Johannesburg, Amakhala Game Reserve, St Francis Bay, Plettenberg Bay & Stellenbosch
In compiling this highlights tour we have selected establishments and businesses who are committed to preserving the precious natural environment and cultural heritage of South Africa and who are dedicated to uplifting local communities. Each accommodation establishment in this tour has Fair Trade accreditation, as do most of the tour operators and recommended activities and excursions.
10 Day Royal South Africa
Thornybush Game Reserve, Cape Town & Franschhoek
A luxury holiday fit for royalty. Royal Malewane is a Big Five safari lodge in the Thornybush Game Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park. Siturated in the trendy Silo District, the Silo Hotel is a celebration of art, style, architecture and design, a tribute to timeless glamour and contemporary luxury. La Residence in Franschhoek is surrounded by views of vineyards and plum orchards, with a spectacular mountain backdrop and an atmosphere of complete tranquility.
FEATURED CAPE WINELANDS ACCOMMODATION
Spier Hotel, situated on Spier Wine Estate which offers a wide range of dining options and activities. Includes a chocolate and wine pairing for the adults and a fruit juice tasting for the kids plus a complimentary bottle of wine on arrival.
De Zalze Lodge
De Zalze Lodge in Stellenbosch, situated on the Kleine Zalze wine estate, and explore the wineries of the area on the Vine Hopper. Includes a complimentary bottle of wine and a wine tasting on the estate.
Mont Angelis Retreat, and get to experience these beautiful, exclusive Self-Catering Cottages in Blaauwklippen Valley Stellenbosch. The magic light, and the dramatic Stellenbosch Mountains will take your breath away.
Franschhoek Boutique Hotel
Franschhoek Boutique Hotel in the heart of Franschhoek with the perfect location to explore the town and for those in search of a peace and tranquility. Breakfast is included daily.
Boschendal Wine Estate. With an emphasis on stylish simplicity, the guest cottages are authentic and rural yet contemporary in character. Includes breakfast daily.
L'Ermitage Chateau and Villas
L’Ermitage Chateau and Villas and an excursion on the Franchhoek Wine Tram. Includes a complimentary bottle of wine to enjoy while taking in the stunning views.