An ideal destination for any adrenaline junkie, adventure seeker or nature lover, the Garden Route is a scenic stretch of Southern African coastline in the southeast of the country
The Garden Route is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque parts of Southern Africa, with pristine beaches, lush forests, rivers, valleys and rolling mountains.
It stretches from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape, all the way up to Storms River in the extreme Western region of the Eastern Cape. The route also includes the towns of George, Knysna, Wilderness, Sedgefield and Plettenberg Bay.
Only 4-5 hour’s drive from Cape Town it is the perfect self-drive destination with two different route options from Cape Town – the quicker N2 highway or the more scenic Route 62, also known as the World’s Longest Wine Route.
The Garden Route is an obvious choice for an adventure holiday for the whole family!
What To See
- The indigenous forests, home to forest elephants and 700-year-old yellowwood trees
- Meandering hiking trails and Mountain biking tracks
- Tsitsikamma Forest, home to a canopy tour and zip lining adventure
- Lagoons, bays and beaches, playing host to water sports, surfing, boating, fishing and scuba diving
- Wildlife sactuaries –Birds of Eden, Monkeyland, Jukani Wildlife Sanctuary, Tenikwe Wildlife Centre, Knysna Elephant Park, Elephant Sanctuary, Tsitsikamma and Noah’s Park Wolf Sanctuaries, Radical Raptors and Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary
- Knysna Heads and Estuary – boats trips, dinner cruises, sunset sails, marine eco tours and boat-based whale watching
- Featherbed Nature Reserve, an awesome scenic eco-experience
- The world’s highest commercial bungee jump at Bloukrans
- Adventure activities – paragliding, hang gliding, Scootours, canyoning, cliff jumping, kloofing, rappelling, abseiling, sandboarding, sailing, kayaking, shark cage diving, SUP-ing, horse riding, quad biking, kiteboarding, sky-diving, tubing… there are very few adventure activities not available!
- Safaris at Buffeldrift in Oudtshoorn, Botlierskop near Plettenberg Bay, the Garden Route Game Lodge and Gondwana Game Reserve near Mossel Bay
- Oudtshoorn, the heart of the ostrich feather industry and home to the Cango Caves, a series of caverns and chambers naturally hewn out of limestone
FEATURED GARDEN ROUTE TOURS
7 Day Cape Garden Route Circular Trip
Swellendam, Knysna & Oudtshoorn
A cicular tour covering the highlights of the Garden Route, starting and ending in Cape Town. Take a slow drive along the N2 Route, stopping at the little towns of the Overberg region and overnighting in Swellendam. Spend a few days in Knysna. Spend two days in Oudtshoorn, the Ostrich Capital and home to the Cango Caves, do a day trip over the magnificnet Swartberg Pass and in the evening enjoy a star gazing experience. Travel back to Cape Town via the scenic Route 62, the World's Longest Wine Route.
12 Day Cape Town & Garden Route Adventure
Tsitsikamma National Park, Knysna, Oudtshoorn, Hermanus & Cape Town
An action and adrenaline packed itinerary for those looking to be more active while on holiday. The Garden Route and Cape Town have an endless choice when it comes to adventure and outdoor activity options, there is very little that you cannot do here!
The ocean, mountains, forests and beautiful varied natural environments all provide the perfect settings for these activities.
14 Day Cape Town Garden Route & Safari
Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Oudtshoorn, Knysna, St Francis Bay & Amakhala Game Reserve
Experience the best of the Cape region on this 14-day self-drive highlights tour. Includes Cape Town, the Garden Route and some beach and bush – a beach resort in Cape St Francis and a malaria-free Big 5 Safari in the Amakhala Private Game Reserve.
During this journey your accommodation will include Fair Trade Tourism (FTT) hotels, lodges and activities.
8 Day Garden Route Beach Break
Wilderness, Plettenberg Bay & St Francis Bay
Enjoy three different beach spots on the scenic Garden Route. The Wilderness is renowned for its vast stretches of beach and its tranquil beauty surrounded by nature reserves, rivers and lakes.
Plettenberg Bay is a picturesque, charming town with endless beaches, tranquil lagoons, clean rivers, indigenous forests and a dramatic rocky peninsula.
Last stop - St Francis Bay is a picturesque holiday village known for its excellent surfing and pristine stretches of white-sand beach.
17 Day Cape Cycling & Hiking Holiday
Cape Town, Franschhoek, Hermanus, Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay & Samara Private Game Reserve
An awesome itinerary for those wanting to stay active while exploring the beautiful and varied landscapes of the Cape while indulging in luxurious accommodation.
Explore the cycling and hiking routes from Cape Town, through the Winelands, along the Whale Coast and Garden Route and through both the Little and Great Karoo. This trip takes in both the well-trodden paths and off the beaten tracks at a pace that allows enough time for discovery.
22 Day Best of South Africa Family Holiday
Johannesburg, Madikwe Game Reserve, Port Elizabeth, St Francis Bay, Knysna, Oudtshoorn, Hermanus, Stellenbosch & Cape Town
This itinerary is ideal for families wanting to enjoy an extended time in South Africa. Included is a malaria-free Big Five safari in the Madikwe Game Reserve, some beach time in the Eastern Cape, a few days to explore the Garden Route and Little Karoo, a taste of the Whale Coast and the Cape Winelands and another few days in Cape Town to experience all the city has to offer.
FEATURED GARDEN ROUTE ACCOMMODATION
Turnberry Boutique Hotel
Situated in the centre of the picturesque Klein Karoo town of Oudtshoorn. A warm welcome, awaits visitors to this tiny piece of Scotland set in the heart of the Klein Karoo.
The Hog Hollow Country Lodge
Along the renowned holiday destination of the Garden Route find set on the edge of indigenous forest with breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys and Tsitsikamma Mountains.
Situated on a rocky headland, the ultimate South African seaside escape with some of the most breathtaking vistas in South Africa - views of the ocean, mountains and stretches of golden sand.