There are many fantastic, adventurous and family-friendly things to do in Knysna and on the Garden Route: it would be a pity to miss this part of South Africa. Set amidst indigenous forests and expansive lagoon views you will find the quaint and discrete town of Knysna. Knysna attracts thousands of visitors annually and offers a unique holiday, whether you sunbathe on the white sands of Buffels Bay or explore the town’s picturesque waterfront and quaint streets, this town provides a blend of both relaxation and adventure. Knysna and surrounds in essence a giant playground for families and outdoor adventurers.
Here are a couple of ideas of activities to try while on holiday in Knysna:
– Tsitsikamma Canopy Tour: Try something different and take a canopy tour in the beautiful Tsitsikamma rainforest. You will have an amazing time zip lining through the trees, from platform to platform, 30m above the forest floor. You will be as close as possible to all of the lush greenery and bird life, while the professional guides will not only ensure your safety, but give you interesting information about the forest’s ecosystem. This is an unforgettable experience that gives guests a truly unique perspective.
– Picnic & hike at Jubilee Creek: Enjoy a beautiful forest picnic alongside a cool, forest stream. There are lots of spots to enjoy a packed at one of the picnic sites including facilities. Visitors can also enjoy the Jubilee Creek walk to a waterfall and swimming hole.
– Featherbed Eco Experience: Enjoy the stunning Featherbed Nature Reserve, in Knysna as you take the ferry across the Knysna Lagoon to the Western Head. From here you will be taken up a beautiful 4×4 trail into the Reserve, stopping occasionally to allow you to take in the scenery and for your guide to give you all the information you need on the various plants and animals. Guests can also choose to take a short guided tour through the coastal forest into nearby sea caves.
– Enjoy the Garden of Eden Forest Walk: Located nearby in Plettenberg Bay, this amazing forest walk site, first opened in 1926, is set along boardwalks. It is designed to be wheel-chair friendly (along the 800m trail) and is intended to give visitors the feeling of total seclusion. Be sure to pack in a picnic lunch and enjoy this wonderful forest experience.
– Wine tasting & cheese platters at Packwood Wine Estate: Visit this award-winning vineyard-and-country estate, located between Plettenberg Bay and Knysna and surrounded by indigenous forests, amazing views and nature in abundance. Enjoy wines and bubbly from Packwood and a homemade cheese lunch using produce from the farm and our sustainable hydroponics.
– The Blombos Trail: Undertake the longest of six trails found within Goukamma Nature Reserve: Blombos Trail. It’s aimed primarily at bird spotters and has three different route options to choose from are a 6.5km, 13km and 15km.
– Swim in the Drupkelders Rock Pools: Drupkelders – meaning Dripping Cellars – are wonderful rock pools located within the Knysna Forest. Visitors can enjoy the 3.5km forest walk, stopping for a visit to these amazing rock pools. Be sure to pack in a picnic and swimming clothes and don comfortable, good walking shoes to make the most of your visit. Please note only 12 people are allowed in per day, and a SANPARKS permit is a must.
– Marine Tour: Venture out onto the sea, through the Knysna Heads, and explore the beautiful coastline of the Garden Route. As you cruise along the water you will be treated to stunning bays and caves, as well as coves with panoramic views. Lucky guests may even be visited by friendly pods of dolphins, who sometimes like to join in on the fun and see what everyone is up to. Other animals that you will likely get to see are various types of indigenous birds and the always entertaining seals and penguins.
– Head to Buffalo Bay Beach: Located around 25 minutes from Forest Edge is one of the cleanest, safest and loveliest of the Garden Route’s beaches. Famous for whale watching and surfing, this beach is popular among both families and outdoor adventurers. Buffalo Bay Beach also has a restaurant/shop and life guards during the busy season.
These are just a handful of the many activities await travellers in Knysna. If you are not sure what activities are most suited to your needs or you are looking for a range of other options including accommodation options you can Contact us for more information and we will assist you. We are also happy to send sample itineraries showing how Knysna can be incorporated into a family package.