This coastal city and its sandy beaches face the Atlantic Ocean, Swakopmund is located in Namibia, west of the capital, Windhoek. Established by German colonists in 1892, the city’s colonial landmarks include the Swakopmund Lighthouse and the Mole, an old sea wall. Next to the lighthouse, the Swakopmund Museum documents Namibian history. Inland, the elegant Swakopmund Railway Station, now a hotel, also dates to the colonial era.
If you have time to explore Swakopmund, a walk around the area visiting the Lighthouse, Railway Station, Museum, the Mole, local shops selling souvenirs are a good way to experience the history of the town. While exploring the vibrant streets of Swakopmund, the Bistro Zum Kaiser is a perfect stop to rest your feet and enjoy a cup of freshly ground coffee or delicious meal. This restaurant offers a great culinary experience combining the finest German-Namibian flavours with award-wining wines in a relaxing environment. Serving a superb breakfast feast, indulging sweet treats and delicious light meals, this is the perfect lunch spot offering meals that will please even the most discerning taste buds.
If you are looking for adventure based experiences you could try the following:
– “Up, up and away” sail silently over the reddish dune sea of the Namib. Add an exhilarating dimension to your visit to the desert with this unforgettable hot air balloon safari. After the flight enjoy an exclusive Champagne Breakfast at the landing spot in scenic nature. Due to the desert temperatures this activity is offered in the mornings only, the balloon rises as the sun rise. The first light hour of the day is known to be the most spectacular, especially in the desert with the rich contrast of colour and shape on the towering sand dunes of the Sossusvlei Area, on the vast desert plains and surrounding mountain ranges.
– A unique 4×4 adventure, The Living Desert Tour specialises in bringing the desert to life while sharing the awesome beauty of the Namib Desert with travellers from all over the world. Learn about the geology, structure and formation of the desert, and admire the vast and beautiful landscapes while enjoying a scenic dune drive combined with fun and adrenaline.
– Mola Mola Marine Dolphin Cruise will give you the opportunity to experience the beauty of the skeleton coast of Namibia and the amazing riches of the Atlantic Ocean. You will see an abundance of bird and mammal life up close and delight in the sea air, fresh oysters and bubbles. Frequent sightings include bottlenose dolphins, cape fur seals, mola molas, penguins, leatherback turtles, and whales (from July to November).
– A sand boarding adventure with Desert Explorers, offering a range of activities in the desert, including lie-down or stand-up sand boarding. No experience is needed for either and six different slopes are included in the lie-down option. Speeds of up to 80km/h can be reached for the maximum adrenaline buzz. Two slopes are on offer for the stand-up boarding with various runs on either. This awesome outing is guaranteed to get the adrenaline pumping.
– A quad biking tour with Desert Explorers, choose from a variety of duration’s including 45 minutes, 90 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour, as well as an overnight tour. Quad biking tours range from adrenaline junky options which include wild dunes and spirals of the Namib desert, to slower tours where guests can explore and discover plant and animal life.
– A kayaking adventure with Pelican Point Kayaking, go on an adventure around the tip of the Pelican Point Peninsula where you can spot seals and dolphins. You can also see birds and flamingos in the Walvis Bay wetlands on your drive to the kayaking site. During the night, the sailors use the Pelican Point lighthouse as a guiding light to make their way back to shore. Pelican Point is also home to many animals including Cape Fur seals, Bottlenose and Heaviside’s dolphins, black-backed jackals, as well as the brown hyena. Many times the seals are curious and playful and come up close to the kayaks.
These are just some of the many activities Swakopmund has on offer, from a relaxing day exploring the history of the town to an adventure trip in the dunes, this coastal city has it on offer. Please contact us if you would like more information on these or other activities in Swakopmund or sample packages showing how this destination can be incorporated into a package.