The beautiful and dramatic Garden Route is a 300-kilometre stretch of the south-western coast of South Africa which extends from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape to the Storms River in the Eastern Cape. This area is dense with forests, beaches, lakes, rivers, kloofs and hardwood trees and is regarded as one of the most beautiful regions in the country. The area is jam-packed with things to do, and visitors are spoilt for choice. Simply driving the Garden Route is a joy, with numerous picnic spots, viewpoints and attractions. From whale watching in Hermanus, Big 7 spotting at Addo Elephant National Park to facing adrenaline at the world’s highest natural bungy jump. These are just some of the many activities to enjoy on your next visit through the Garden Route:
1. The Cango Caves: 29km from Oudtshoorn at the head of the picturesque Oudtshoorn lies the Cango Caves, a spectacular underground wonder of the Klein Karoo. Here you can experience the dark tunnels and shadowy chambers of this cave that wind through nearly 4 kilometres of dimly lit underground passages. Choose from two different guided group tours, the standard tour which will take you through easy-going portions of the cave where you can see stalactites and stalagmites aglow from spotlights below. The second tour option is an adventure tour taking you up steep rocky passes and through narrow tunnels, one of hich is only 27 centimetres wide!
2. A bucket worthy list activity perfect for thrill seekers, shark cage diving: If you are feeling brave enough to tick an unforgettable face-to-face encounter with natures perfect hunter, the great white shark, off your bucket-list the this is the perfect day trip for you! Spend the day shark cage diving in Mossel Bay where you will witness these magnificent, and often misunderstood, creatures in their natural habitat (from the safety of your solid steel cage).
3. The perfect add-on trip if you are visiting Knysna, A Featherbed Eco Tour: Experience the magic of the Knysna Lagoon with a Featherbed Eco Tour. Featherbed has recently revamped their premises offering the opportunity for friends and family to make new memories! This is the perfect day trip boasting spectacular views, a scrumptious lunch at the Food Forest restaurant and a fun boat transfer.
4. A picture perfect trip, visit the Swartberg Mountains. If you are looking to experience the beauty of the Swartberg Mountains then a trip up the Swartberg Pass will be perfect day trip for you. You will travel up this world famous pass, a national monument, that take you on a winding journey through the Swartberg up to the summit that offers panoramic views of the Great and Little Karoo.
5. If you feeling ready to face adrenaline head on then a jump at the Bloukrans Bungy is a must! This bungy jump takes place from the top of the arch of Africa’s biggest bridge, it is the highest commercial natural bungy jump in the world at 216 metres above the Bloukrans River. If you are not up to bungy there is a bridge walking tour available from ages 6 years old, either experience is guaranteed to be unforgettable!
6. Tsistsikamma Canopy Tour – Take a canopy tour in the beautiful Tsitsikamma rainforest, you will zip line through the trees, from platform to platform, 30 meters above the forest floor. Enjoy lush greenery and bird life while you learn about the forest’s ecosystem. This Canopy Tour offers a truly unique experience when visiting the Garden Route.
7. Addo Elephant National Park – Discover, experience and explore a world of diversity all in one park! Addo Elephant is the third largest national park in South Africa and has expanded to conserve a wide range of biodiversity, landscapes, fauna and flora. Did you know that the Addo Elephant Park is home Park is home to more than 500 elephants and South Africa’s Big 7, made up of the lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, rhino, the Southern right whale and the great white shark. Addo is the only park in the world to house all seven species. A great day of wildlife viewing and bird watching awaits you at Addo!
8. A visit to Oudtshoorn – Cross the Oteniqua Mountains and head to Oudtshoorn for an unforgettable Klein Karoo experience. If you are hoping to see the world’s largest bird, you won’t be disappointed! Ostriches are common in this area and you can take an ostrich tour to get up close to these magnificent creatures. Learn more about ostriches and enjoy a family friendly day out exploring the best of Oudshoorn!
There is so much on offer in the Garden Route, it is perfect for families , group tours, a romantic getaway and more! Please contact us if you would like some more information on the Garden Route, activities on offer or some sample packages showing how this destination can be incorporated into a package.